The Top Holistic Solutions to Overcome Insomniain Health Studies
Over 33% of people suffer from sleep disorders like insomnia and most people are so used to a poor night’s sleep that they do not consider this an issue to their health.
When we think of insomnia, we may think of someone lying wide awake in bed all night unable to fall asleep. While this is one version of insomnia there are many other sleep disorders that equally have negative effects on your health.
Some people have difficulty falling asleep, staying asleep, or sleeping at least 5 hours continuously. Others wake up frequently during the course of the night.
A good night’s sleep is one of the most crucial body functions for optimum health.
Why is Sleep important to our Health?
For adults it is recommended to have 7-9 hours of sleep for 7 nights a week. Does that seem unlikely to you? Well, it is possible and essential for optimum health, vitality, and longevity. Lack of sleep has been linked to obesity, type 2 diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure and depression.
While we sleep our bodies and brain have the opportunity to rest, digest and repair. Sleep allows our immune system to repair, our digestion to function and our brain to recharge. Sleep leads to a stronger immune system, a well-balanced and functioning digestive system, a stronger memory and alertness level, and a healthy response to stress.
Do you have trouble Sleeping?
· Do you have issues falling asleep?
· When you fall asleep, do you stay asleep for 5 consecutive hours?
· Are you restless while you sleep, tossing and turning?
· Do you wake up feeling tired, groggy or exhausted?
If you answered yes, please read on to learn more about insomnia and ways to improve your sleep and sleep hygiene.
What Affects Poor Sleep?
- Diet- Eating or drinking too late before going to bed, eating hard to digest food, food high in sugar, or consuming caffeine after 2:00 pm.
- Vitamin & Mineral deficiencies- Including a low pH, lack of antioxidants and essential fatty acids
- Pharmaceuticals- Most pharmaceuticals include chemicals or heavy metals that interfere with sleep.
- Poor sleep hygiene- Your bed or pillow may be too firm or too soft, too much external noise in your bedroom, like a TV or radio, too much light in the room, and wifi disruptions from your cellphone on your night stand.
- Lack of sunlight throughout the day- When we absorb sunlight our bodies produce cortisol that increases our alertness. Sunlight trains our bodies to know when it is time to be awake and have energy.
- Unknown infections- Like parasites in your gut that are not resting while your sleep.
- Pain and discomfort- If we are experience inflammation, and chronic pain, we will be unable to rest
- Heavy Metal Toxicity- Environmental factors include dental work, non-organic food supply, or beauty products
- Stress- Stress and anxiety will stimulate the nervous system and cause restless sleep.
There are various types of insomnia like difficulty falling asleep, difficulty staying asleep, difficulty sleeping at least 5 hours continuously, waking up frequently at night. If any of these are disrupting your sleep and furthermore are disrupting the quality of your health, then increasing your restful sleep is important.
If you have more than 3 nights a week of sleep disturbances for 3 consecutive months then you may want to consider addressing your quality of sleep.
How Can I Improve my Sleep?
· Caffeine after 2:00 pm.
· Eating processed foods at night
· Eating after 7:00 pm (or within 2 hours of bedtime)
· Alcohol or sugar before bed
· Drinking a lot of fluid before bedtime
· Keeping your cell phone by your bed
· Remove electronics or TV in bedroom
· Sunlight throughout your day (even 20 minutes will help)
· Fresh organic fruits and vegetables
· Daily movements like walking and stretching
· Bedroom comforts (good quality mattress, pillow)
· Darkness in bedroom
· Bedtime routines
The Holistic Remedy to Overcome Insomnia
Creating a pH balance with proper vitamins and minerals to boost the immune system is the first step to improving sleep quality, followed by a holistic detox to remove harmful chemicals, parasites or heavy metals affecting your sleep. As a Doctor of Natural Medicine, this is where I start with my clients.
It is also important to reduce screen time to devices and remove wifi and electronics from your sleep space. We are constantly exposing our eyes to light from these devices such that our bodies do not know it is time to rest. We have stopped naturally producing Melatonin which is an essential hormone for sleep. A Melatonin supplement may be essential to jumpstart proper sleep. Balancing proper vitamins, minerals and hormones will lead to restful nights sleep.
More than half of my clients struggle with quality sleep and I surmise that this may be the root of some of their issues, like weight gain, digestive problems, brain fog, anxiety, depression, and mood swings.
Immune boosting and holistic detoxing is my specialty and I can help get to the root cause of your health concerns with a personalized holistic plan for you. If you want to learn about my 5 Steps to Optimum Health that address Insomnia, consider scheduling a free call with me to discuss your options.
Click here to schedule your free 30 minute phone consultation.